About Me

My photo
I am a very proud mama of two children. I have done a lot of reading over the past 7 years and worked very closely with our wonderful pediatrician and nurse practitioner and have learned some useful medical information that I hope other parents will find helpful. I believe parents to be their child's best advocate. We know their "normal". I believe it is our responsibility to understand their medical conditions, symptoms, lab results and diagnosis so we can ask good questions and ultimately help in the good health of our children. **I am NOT a doctor nor have I had any medical training. I am simply sharing information helpful in my specific situation.** Welcome to "Pediatric Mama"!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

MRI

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a technique that uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Most MRI machines are large, tube-shaped magnets. When you lie inside an MRI machine, the magnetic field temporarily aligns the water molecules in your body. Radio waves cause these aligned particles to produce very faint signals, which are used to create cross-sectional MRI images — like slices in a loaf of bread.
The MRI machine can also be used to produce 3-D images that may be viewed from many different angles. (www.mayoclinic.com)
Our urologist ordered a full spinal MRI for my son mostly prompted by the suspicion of a Tethered Cord spine (see my previous post "Duplex Kidney" for more information on Tethered Cord).  I always use the pediatric or children's imaging centers versus the general imaging centers.  The children's imaging centers specialize in kids so they understand the fears, possible pain and parent concern and can usually do more to accommodate families.  Especially if sedation is involved I choose the children's imaging center.  
My son was given oral sedation (Vistaril and then Chloral Hydrate) in a private patient room with a bed, chairs and a TV / DVD player.  He picked a movie he wanted to watch and fell asleep about 30 minutes after sedation (some kids don't fall asleep but become very sleepy and relaxed).  My husband and I got to go in to the MRI room with him.  It was a VERY long process.  Even with sedation, he moved a few times so some parts had to be re-imaged.  The nurse in the room with us figured out he was too hot and was moving in an attempt to get out from under the sheets and blankets.  Once those were removed he was still for the remainder of the imaging. His eyes open a few times but he was so groggy the nurse would just tell him to close his eyes and go back to sleep and he would.  Sedation is not required for an MRI but I highly recommend it even with the possible risks.  I think to be strapped down to a table and rolled in to a tube with extremely loud noises is very scary even for adults.  Not to mention the fact that you have to remain completely still or the images get blurred and are useless or have to be repeated.  The amount of time the MRI takes depends on the images ordered.  My son's MRI took about 1.5 hours but some are as short as 10 minutes.  
After the MRI, my son was taken back to the private patient room for recovery.  We also had some blood work that another doctor had ordered that I took with me to have done while we were there (I wanted to take advantage of the sedation so he wouldn't feel the worry and pain of a blood draw).  After the draw, we waited for him to wake up and eat / drink a little before he could be released.  The nurse checked vitals and waited to make sure the food / drink didn't make him nauseous.  About 30 minutes later we were released.  My son was very wobbly and a little cranky the rest of the evening.  That was to be expected due to the sedation.  If your child has sedation - do not let him/her walk alone.  Either carry them or hold their hand when walking because they definitely have weakness and loss of balance several hours afterward.  I made a bed for him on the floor next to my bed that evening so he wouldn't roll out of his bed or try to get up and fall and hurt myself while still under the effect of the sedation.  This morning he woke up fine and totally back to normal.
We get the results of our MRI in 3 days and the results of our blood work next week.
TIPS:
1. Use a pediatric imaging center when possible.
2. Consider sedation.
3. If sedation is planned ask your child's other doctors if any labs are needed so the blood draw can be done  while sedated - less scary / painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment