About Me

My photo
I am a very proud mama of two children. I have done a lot of reading over the past 7 years and worked very closely with our wonderful pediatrician and nurse practitioner and have learned some useful medical information that I hope other parents will find helpful. I believe parents to be their child's best advocate. We know their "normal". I believe it is our responsibility to understand their medical conditions, symptoms, lab results and diagnosis so we can ask good questions and ultimately help in the good health of our children. **I am NOT a doctor nor have I had any medical training. I am simply sharing information helpful in my specific situation.** Welcome to "Pediatric Mama"!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

When Allergy & Rheumatology Collide

Since the last blog I've decided AJ will stop seeing urology - at least for the time being.  There were some abnormalities (duplex kidney, hydronephrosis, bladder wall thickening and enuresis) but no glaring diagnosis or fix.

AJ saw Rheumatology first on Sept 20 and again today Nov 27.  Still unexplained symptoms and "next step" for Rheumatology to review history and labs again with Dermatology and Allergy.  Allergy has said it's a Rheumatology issue and Rheumatology has said it's an Allergy issue.  Both agree he has urticaria and demographism but no explanation for the joint pain, swelling, hot spots and bruising.  He had negative allergy tests and negative autoimmune tests.  We are told to maximize antihistamine therapy and ibuprofen (Zyrtec 1 mg/mL 1 tsp twice daily, Zantac 15 mg/mL 1 tsp twice daily and Iburpropen 10 mL every 6 hours as needed).  Follow up is with Rheumatology in 2 months and labs will be re-done.

SYMPTOM SUMMARY:
-Rashes
-Swelling (internal / external)
-Stomach pain / loss of appetite / constipation
-Joint pain / hard knots
-Bruising / hot spots

LAB SUMMARY:
-negative Allergies
-negative ANA labs
-negative Angioedema
-negative Cystic Fibrosis
-negative Tethered Cord
-normal VCUG
-normal Spinal MRI
-normal Abdominal X-ray

My "mommy knows" diagnosis:
He has an autoimmune issue that causes the symptoms.  When he is sick with an infection his autoimmune issue which is already mis-firing goes into an all out battle and that's when the severe symptoms occur.

I will continue to track symptoms and take pictures of rashes, swelling and bruising.  If symptoms get any worse I am prepared to get another Rheumatology opinion.  I'm hoping the labs in 2 months are more helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment