About Me

My photo
I am a very proud mama of two children. I have done a lot of reading over the past 7 years and worked very closely with our wonderful pediatrician and nurse practitioner and have learned some useful medical information that I hope other parents will find helpful. I believe parents to be their child's best advocate. We know their "normal". I believe it is our responsibility to understand their medical conditions, symptoms, lab results and diagnosis so we can ask good questions and ultimately help in the good health of our children. **I am NOT a doctor nor have I had any medical training. I am simply sharing information helpful in my specific situation.** Welcome to "Pediatric Mama"!

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Immune System

My daughter has a mild immune deficiency which while labeled "mild" causes her to be ill frequently. The immune system is hard to understand but after several "abnormal" lab results I found it helpful to educate myself on what specifically the major organs of the immune system do so I could ask doctors better questions.

As parents, we have to be our child's biggest advocate. We see them every day and we know their "normal". Remember to keep the binder (discussed in my post "The Best Thing I Ever Did"). TIP: Keep a print out of the medicines your child has been prescribed and for what. If you have prescription insurance you can print the list from your providers website after logging in. You can also ask your pharmacy for a print out of the prescription history. Keep this in your binder.

The Immune system is composed of a variety of different cell types and proteins. Each component performs a special task aimed at recognizing and / or reacting against foreign material. http://primaryimmune.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/The-Immune-System-and-Primary-Immunodeficiency-Diseases.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment