About Me

My photo
I am a very proud mama of two children. I have done a lot of reading over the past 7 years and worked very closely with our wonderful pediatrician and nurse practitioner and have learned some useful medical information that I hope other parents will find helpful. I believe parents to be their child's best advocate. We know their "normal". I believe it is our responsibility to understand their medical conditions, symptoms, lab results and diagnosis so we can ask good questions and ultimately help in the good health of our children. **I am NOT a doctor nor have I had any medical training. I am simply sharing information helpful in my specific situation.** Welcome to "Pediatric Mama"!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pneumonia

I am currently trying to keep my daughter away from Pneumonia and the hospital. She went from a sore throat and sore ears to a sinus infection to suspected pneumonia. She is on an antibiotic and steroid as well as OTC (over the counter) medications to help fight the infection and tame the symptoms. The threat of pneumonia can be scary. Being educated can help you and your child feel more comfortable and fight through it.

Pneumonia is a general term that refers to an infection of the lungs.
Often, pneumonia begins after an upper respiratory tract infection (an infection of the nose and throat), with symptoms of pneumonia beginning after 2 or 3 days of a cold or sore throat. A doctor can tell you have pneumonia by listening to your lungs or looking at a chest X-ray. http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/pneumonia.html

Speaking from experience a sinus infection or respiratory infection can head towards pneumonia pretty quickly. Some signs may include:
  • Mild-moderate fever
  • Sore Throat
  • Headache
  • Prolonged period of coughing
  • Decreased activeness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Labored breathing
  • Abdominal pain
  • Any symptoms resembling the common influenza virus
TIPS:
1. Keep notes on what symptoms your child has, when they started and how they have progressed.
2. Ask questions...doctors can use a variety of terms like lung infection, upper respiratory infection, walking pneumonia, etc. Make sure you are clear and ask the difference and what to look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment